Monday, June 22, 2009

The Ties That Bind, Day Two



I had to re-adjust the design for ease of assembly. My first design was more interesting, but I thought if I chose something TOO challenging to puzzle together, I was going to end up with a bunch of half finished piecing and another UFO. I wanted to get the top together while I was excited about it. At first I couldn't decide how to piece the outer triangles, but ultimately I figured out that if I nestled the smaller blocks right next to the larger one, the math would be simple.

I found I could use black as a sashing, if it were not stark. I used the black and white check I bought.




The outer border was a much bigger challenge than I was expecting. Not more checks. I tried every black, white and black and white on black that I have. Nothing worked. Either it was too busy, too similar to the checks, or too stark a contrast. Then I started looking at royal blue. There's enough of it in the quilt and I've always liked the way it plays with yellow and the drama of royal and black together. Pulled my blue stash box, and found I didn't have anything I liked in the amounts I needed. Off to the LQS, again!

3 comments:

Ginny said...

Oh hurry back from the store! I am dying to see how this turns out!!! I love the checked sashing, your blog is better than a soap opera... with those darn cliff hangers

Iva said...

Cliff hanger indeed. Can't wait to see the finished quilt. That black and white border was a great choice.

Serena said...

This is so beautiful. I love your work. It's coming together so lovely.