Thursday, February 14, 2008

"Your Choice"

This year I organized the Piecemaker's Block Exchange. With some help from some of the group members I was able to take a blob of an idea and come up with something that seems to have been well received. In the past we have made a particular block x number of times, or used a particular fabric. You may have noticed that when you try to get 10 quilters to do the same thing SOMEONE is going to complain. Well, the Piecemakers has become a bigger group in the past few years and I wasn't taking my chances with 20 women! In the end 17 quilters in the group decided to join the exchange.

Everyone got to choose the block she was going to make. She had to register her choice with me, and it's a secret. Then each quilter chose her own focus fabric, cut it into squares and gave a piece to each other quilter. We are each making 17 blocks in 17 different color ways to accomodate the focus fabrics we received.

In July we'll have the big reveal party. Everyone will bring their blocks and I'll sort them out by owner and hand them out for everyone to see.

Last week "finish everything she ever started in record time" Pam (I love her!) was working on her blocks and pointed out that if we did a block a week, it would take 4 months to complete the work. Well, that lit a fire under me! My applique blocks are fairly simple, but still represent a fair amount of work. So I have cut backgrounds for all the blocks I could from my stash (I need to shop for the "right" fabric for 3 of the blocks) and I have cut and prepared the pieces for 4 of the blocks. I'm using Beth Ferrier's method which is easy and makes for very smooth curves and sharp points. I'm so glad I took her class when I did!

No comments: