Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Working Wednesdays

Those who have known me for the past couple of years have asked how I've suddenly become more productive. Here's the secret: I have a dedicated day for quiltmaking. On Wednesdays I typically have no appointments or errands that need to be run, I have stopped accepting lunch dates and planning meetings for Wednesday. I can start sewing the minute hubby and Kay leave the house in the morning and go until Kay returns from school. I can get a lot done in that space of time. It's not always quilting. It not even always sewing. I spent one whole day reorganizing my fabric room so I could use it and find things more easily. It is always about getting things done so I can finish more projects. Of course, I work on quilts at other times during the week, I carry handwork with me virtually everywhere, and love to sit and watch a movie with the family while doing hand stitching, but having a dedicated day gives me time to sit at my machine and really pound through a project.

It takes some planning. I either make a big enough meal the night before that I don't have to cook on Wednesday, or I make an easy enough meal that I don't have to do a lot of prep during the day. I make sure that whatever I need for the project at hand is in the house. I don't want to have to run over to the LQS in the middle of the day, or stop working because I don't have enough of the right thread. I make sure that on Tuesday I have cleared counters, tables, or whatever else is necessary as a working space for the project at hand. Also I make sure I either have something entertaining, it could be something saved on the DVR, an audio book, or a DVD. Currently I'm listening to "Team of Rivals". It's very LONG and has kept me good company.

So what am I working on today? Placemats, table runners and grocery sacks that fold up like quillows, all Christmas gifts.

1 comment:

Gina said...

What a great idea.

love and hugs Gina xxx