Saturday, February 18, 2012

Beef and Broccoli Recipe

Slam, butchering a whole tenderloin
I was well cared for after my surgery in January.  My friend, nicknamed Slam, had already planned a visit before my great adventure disrupted my life.  When he heard about it he decided he would still come and spend two days cooking for me, taking care of everything else he could see that needed help.

One of the things he did was go to Restaurant Supply and he bought a whole beef tenderloin which he then butchered himself.  he cooked some that night for dinner.  The rest was vacuum packed, labeled and put in my freezer.  He told me that the chain meat was particularly good for stir-fry.

I had one Sunday before my second surgery which was the first night I really wanted (and felt able) to make a whole dinner on my own.  So I decided I would defrost that chain meat and make beef and broccoli, which I love. I used the following recipe and I highly recommend you give it a try.  It couldn't have been any easier and it is delicious. If you don't happen to have tenderloin chain meat on hand, use something else and the flavors will still be amazing, even if the meat isn't melt in your mouth tender.  Enjoy!

Beef and Broccoli a la Pixie
Beef and Broccoli a la Pixie


Step 1:   


3/4 lbs lean beef

Marinade: 
1 T. rice vinegar
1 t. sugar
1 t. soy sauce
1 T. water
1 T. cornstarch

Mix together the marinade.  Cut the beef into strips (I go for about 1" wide and as long as I can cut them, up to 4" long) and stir the beef into the marinade.  Let sit for at least 30 minutes, a couple of hours can't hurt it.


Step 2: 


Vegetables:
1.5 lbs broccoli cut into florets, I use the stems, too, peeled and cut into 1" by .5" pieces
1 large onion cut into slivers
2 garlic cloves cut into slivers
1 T. fresh grated ginger

Sauce:
4 T. oyster sauce
4 T. soy sauce
2 T. water

Mix all and set aside in a bowl

Seasoning:
1/2 t. salt
1 t. sugar

Mix together and set aside in a bowl

Thickener:  
1.5 t. cornstarch mixed with 1.5 T water and set aside in a bowl


Step 3:


Other:


1/2 c. vegetable or peanut oil
3/4 c. water


Heat wok or large pan on the stove until it is hot.  Add the oil  and swirl it around.  Dump the beef into the pan and spread out the pieces by the time they're all in a single layer it's time to turn them over.  When they are cooked through (no longer pink) remove them to a clean bowl.  


Add the onions and broccoli to the pan stirring constantly.  After the onions begin to soften add the garlic and ginger.  Keep stirring.  When the broccoli is bright green but not quite cooked through add the water and sprinkle with the salt and sugar mixture, stir.  Cover the pan until broccoli is almost done to your liking.  I like mine cooked to just barely still crisp, by the time we're done with cooking it's just tender but not at all mushy.


Add beef back to the pan along with the sauce, cook for 1 minute.  Move the food to one side and pour the thickener into the sauce.  Stir it in and then combine with the food.  Cook for 1 more minute and your're done.

Serve with rice and enjoy!



No comments: